Wednesday, September 17, 2008

I'm home....or am I?

Seattle pulled out all the stops for me on this visit. The birds were singing, the sun was shining (!) and skies were blue. I managed to see many of my friends and it really felt like there's a lot of love there. Not that I doubted, but I do really treasure all those connections. I did it all while I was there: coffee, lunches, drinks, walks, shopping, bus rides, bachelorette party, pho, coffee again, Naomi's wedding, photography, and even a bit of public speaking, and for the first time, the Puyallup Fair! The only thing that fell through was my scheduled tattoo session at Lucky Devil.

I was asked to do a reading for Naomi and Aham at their wedding. With the help of my literate cousin, Miranda, I managed to find a beautiful poem by Pablo Neruda. I forget the title, I know, I suck. But first I read a quote from Dances With Wolves and got a big laugh. The quote is actually quite lovely and suitable:

They are people so eager to laugh, so devoted to family, so dedicated to each other. The only word that comes to mind is harmony.

I finished with "Remember the words that Ron Burgundy said to Victoria Corningstone: I freakin' love you, and from her to him: I freakin love you, too!"

I like to think that I contributed to the overall good times that were had that night.

It was strange to be "home" for a week. It feels so familiar and yet so far away. I was again reminded that people there live in nice houses with yards and flowers around them. It doesn't smell like urine and garbage all summer. There are tons of cute boys and girls running around and people look generally healthy and vital. I miss it. My heart skips a beat when I think of finding a cute apartment and setting up my own little home. But realistically it's a long way away...

No comments: