Friday, September 15, 2006

The Gossip



Riff, Naomi and I went to see The Gossip on Wednesday night. They were playing at Irving Plaza which is very close to Union Square. It was a cool venue, except the drinks were pretty expensive (I guess not for Manhattan, but for me, yes, expensive.) The space reminded me of the Showbox in Seattle, but it was a bit smaller. They had an awesome balcony, where we scored leaning rights against the railing. We saw the 2nd band, Erase Errata, and I was not impressed. Just not my thing -very discordant and, uh, erratic. I liked that they didn't sound like most other bands, unfortunately all their songs sounded about the same. The Gossip were awesome. Beth Ditto shouldn't wear super high heels, though, because I want to see her run around the stage and get crazier. In high heels she seems sort of hobbled. She took them off after the 4th song or so, and I was relieved. She has an awesome voice, especially because of the sheer force of emotion she loads into every bellow and scream. After the show we went to Revival which is just down the block on 15th. I wish Revival was my neighborhood bar. I like the atmosphere, I like the staff, the drinks are strong and keep on coming, and we watched Labyrinth while listening to the Talking Heads. It was a fun night.

No comments: